Legislative committees will be busy discussing education-related bills on Wednesday.
Here’s the schedule, click the link to read the bill:
8:30 a.m., Room 727 – Senate Education and Youth Affairs Committee – Audio available at this link
- SB60 – Repeal of Common Core State Standards, requires Alabama to adopt new standards for Math and English language arts for 2017-2018 school year; attached Fiscal Note estimates cost at $10.9 million: $6.1 million in state funding, $4.8 million in local funding. A public hearing was held last Wednesday.
- SB61 – Requirement to allow all educator professional associations equal access to educators in public schools
- SB89 – Requirement to pass civics test before diploma is awarded
9:00 a.m. – Room 200 – House Ways and Mean Education Committee
- HB41 – Alabama Ahead Act; provides funding for digital priorities for public K-12 classrooms and schools, establishes priorities and mechanisms for funding, establishes oversight committee.
1:00 p.m. – Room 418 – House Education Policy Committee
- HB125 – Public Hearing – Establishes the Alabama Office of Education and Workforce Statistics, as a separate division of the Alabama Department of Labor which is charged with implementing a statewide Longitudinal Data System by August 30, 2016